2017 was a year of many achievements, growth and learning. I am very happy with how everything turned out. Nevertheless, it was also a year of some mental struggles. My life went through tremendous changes and I found myself stressing and obsessing over things that do not really matter. This is because at the end of the day they do not define or reflect who I am as a person. To be more specific, I realised that I was placing way too much focus and attention on the foods that I was eating and on how much physical exercise I was doing, which just drained me out mentally and physically. This is still a currently struggle but I now taking actions towards changing my approach and mindset. It is a work in process but I will get there.
That being said, I want this year to be the year where I regain my body, mind and soul balance. I want to reconnect with myself and achieve greater mental balance. I want to experience things for the first time. I want to travel more and explore new and beautiful places that I did not even know that existed. I want to be more compassionate, kind and love towards myself and others. All in all, I want to start appreciating life more by doing things that I truly enjoy and that are aligned with my authentic self. I want mindfulness to be present in all aspects of my life.
February is almost here and I want to take the opportunity of a new month approaching to set new intentions. They are as follows:
- Read more. I have three books that I want to finish and I will “make” the time to do so.
- Journaling more regularly. This is something that helps me hugely and that I genuinely love to do.
- Re-start my daily practice of gratitude. My boyfriend got me a lovely gratitude journal last year and I can firmly say that writing a gratitude list regularly (almost every single day) helps me to re-focus and feel grounded whenever times get tough. Practicing gratitude is something so simple, yet so mighty and beneficial.
- Travel more within the Netherlands and outside. I have two exciting trips planned and I am so looking forward to exploring more of this beautiful world of ours.
- Make yoga and meditation a habit. I have a brand new yoga mat and I am really determined to incorporate yoga in my lifestyle again as I know that I will only benefit from it. I practiced yoga for almost two years and I used to love how it made me feel. Both yoga and meditation give us piece of mind, awareness for transformation and inner strength, which are all things hugely needed in our life.
- Go to more museums. I have always loved to go to museums but I haven’t visit any for some while now. I considered going to museums as a beautiful way of getting lost in a different dimension/reality as well as an opportunity for building meaningful and personal connections, absorbing local culture and getting inspired. Plus, we can learn so much in just under an hour by simply visiting a museum.
- Let go of what I can’t control. This is perhaps the most abstract and hardest intention of my list but, surely, the one that can make the most positive impact in my life. As this is not a straightforward intention but it is one that, from my standpoint, has heightened importance, I might write a future post just to delve into it.
I think we are so used to having such a fast-paced lifestyle that we end up by focusing on getting through the days instead of on making them “worth” and fulfilling. We rush into our days headfirst without having a specific idea of what we hope to achieve and of what we want to get done. Our days are so filled with mundane distractions that I feel like if we don’t set intentions, we often end up by acting mindlessly and our life just flounders.
What do you guys thing about this? Do you also set new intentions from time to time? Let me know in the comments 🙂