SOOOO guys I finally bought myself a waffle iron!! I have wanted to buy one ever since my mom bought one. This is because I got to see how great it is to have some freshly made waffles for breakfast. Plus, it also reminds me of the lovely breakfasts in family we have in our balcony or garden every time I go back home for the holidays.
This is my most recently acquired kitchen appliance and I am over the moon with it! It is seriously such a breakfast/lunch/dinner game-changer!! It comes so in handy when I am having a crazy week with overtime and everything else we all deal with. In busy days, I surely prefer speed and convenience over anything else.
The recipe of the savoury waffles I am sharing with you today is something really easy that you can throw together in literally 5 minutes. All you need to have on hand are 6 real simple ingredients. I use chickpeas flour in place of regular refined flour for an extra punch of protein and because I personally love its taste. However, for a gluten free version, you can also use quinoa, buckwheat or even rice flour instead. Ok, enough of waffling around (pun obviously intended because I am that funny)! Here is the recipe:
Savoury chickpea waffles (makes two)
- 40 gr chickpeas flour
- 5 gr psyllium husk
- 4 Tbsp water
- A splash of unsweetened almond milk (or any other plant-based milk of your choice)**
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
** I always eye ball it but I probably use around 30ml
- While you are heating your waffle iron, combine all dry ingredients together in one bowl.
- Add in the wet ingredients (water and milk) and stir them together/combine them
- Let waffle batter sit for 10 minutes.
- Scoop a few heaping spoonfuls of mixture into waffle iron and let it cook until it stops steaming and the light turns on. I actually leave for another minute or so because I like my waffles golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Transfer waffles to a plate, serve optional add-ins and enjoy!
Note: I never use cooking spray or oil because my waffle iron has non-stick plates. However, please bear in mind that you might have to use some oil in your batter or cooking spray in your iron in case this is not the case with the waffle maker you use.
I love to pair my crispy waffles with tofu scramble (you can find my recipe here: Tofu Scramble) but you can top them with whatever you like. I have also topped my waffles with some smashed avocado, sautéed mushrooms, capsicum and scallions and they tasted great.
Wish you all a great week ahead xx