It is summertime and the sunny weather brings out the BBQs with family and friends. I am not a meat eater but BBQs are no less fun because of that. Summertime grilling is oftentimes focused on meat as the main event but vegan meals can stand just as tall. There is plenty of quick and easy naturally plant-based side dishes such as grilled veggies, corn on the hob (a true crowd pleasing) and cold salads. There is also a wide variety of veggie patties available at supermarkets these days and you can always opt by making your own vegan burgers using meatless ground “beef” for instance. However, if you are not into mock meats or just prefer less processed or more “natural” whole foods , you might want to give today’s recipe a try: GRILLED TOFU SKEWERS. The idea of these is rather simple and they come together so quickly. In fact can we even call this a recipe? The part that takes the longest is the preparation of the tofu but, trust me, even that does not require much effort.
Organic firm tofu is one of my weekly staples and it is such a nutrient-dense food due to its high protein, iron and calcium content. Plus, it is delicious in more ways than I can tell! I know that many people turn their noses up at tofu but I think that this recipe might convert anyone who’s dared to say they’re not into it. 😉
Here is the recipe:
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/4 pineapple
- 1 block of organic firm tofu (about 180 grams)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1.5 tsps of ground ginger
- 2 tsps of garlic powders
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Press block of tofu to extract liquid for about 30 minutes. Then, cut it into small cubes.
2. In a bowl combine the juice of one lemon, garlic, ginger powder, ground black pepper and salt. Add the tofu and let it marinate in the fridge for at least an extra 30 minutes.
3. Prepare veggies: cut zucchini, pineapple and peppers into squares of about the same size.
4. Assemble skewers: thread vegetables and tofu alternately on the skewers. Distribute them evenly in whatever order you want.
5. Heat a grill pan/grill until sizzling hot, if needed grease with some olive oil, and then place skewers in and cook for about 3-5 of minutes on each side. As I had some leftovers sauce, I brushed with it on the skewers while they were cooking. Cook until zucchini is fork-tender and the rest is slightly charred. If you do not want your tofu charred then just leave it until it becomes golden brown.
6. Remove from grill pan/grill and serve while still hot.
For that perfect final touch, I added some freshly squeezed lemon juice on top of my skewers and paired them with some oven roasted sweet potato and salad greens. Needless to say that you can also eat these tofu skewers for a grain of choice like rice or quinoa for instance.
Here is the final result:
I personally love the sweetness that the pineapple gives to these tofu skewers but if you think it might not be to your liking, then by all means omit it. This recipe on the whole is very versatile and super flexible. You can use whatever veggies you have left in your fridge, like onions, aubergine, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. Just go with what you love or have on hand.
If you liked this recipe and decided to give it a try please let me know how you liked it. Also, because I love love looove to eat outdoors when the sun is out, I am always on the lookout for new meal ideas! So please do share with me in the comment section below your go-to recipes for picnics and BBQs 🙂