It is not news that pretty much everything we do has an impact on the environment, e.g. the food we eat, the things we buy, the transports we use (private or public), and the list goes on. Thus, I think that it goes without saying that one of the best ways to treasure our planet – the only home we have – is to be mindful about our day-to-day purchases and actions. If you are one of my regular readers, you would know that environmental sustainability is something I personally care about. A lot. And if I want to be overall more eco-friendly and do more for the planet, then reducing my waste load (in particular plastic waste) seems like the first and most logical step to take. That being said, as an attempt to lighten my ecological footprint and avoid single use plastic, I have been trying to find plastic-free alternatives to my everyday products. And that is the main reason why I am writing this post today.
I would like to tell you about the current undisputed star in my kitchen. I am so satisfied and pleased about this eco-friendly purchase that I just could not keep it to myself.
Sooo, I have been using glass and plastic food storage containers for most of my life. I find them to be very convenient to store leftovers ingredients/foods as well as fresh produce like cut-up fruits and veggies. As someone who cooks nearly everyday and likes to use the weekend for some meal prepping, I find freezers to be one of the greatest man inventions ever. However, given the small size of my freezer, I struggle to find enough space to fit it all. The problem of food storage containers is that they just take up too much space, which forces me to limit how much meals and foods I can prep for the week. Of course that I could use regular plastic bags but that would just go against what I strive for: a low impact lifestyle. Thus, the limited storage of my freezer led me on a quest for a better, more practical but still environmentally-friendly alternative to regular food storage containers and plastic bags. I am so happy to have “stumbled upon” on food storage bags made of silicone! This turned to be such an easy and convenient swaps guys and you can find below in detail all the reasons why.
Advantages of silicone food storage bags:
- The bags are made of food grade silicone, which is a non-toxic material free of BPA, latex, lead and phthalates. Thus, a safer plastic alternative for our health
- Since this material is also an abundant natural resource, they are a more ecologic and sustainable plastic alternative for the planet
- Silicone is sturdy and resistant to extreme temperatures, making it a long lasting alternative to plastic. These bags can be reused over and over again without really cracking, peeling, drying out or becoming brittle.
- Self-sealing convenience, which makes them leakproof (great for clumsy and accident-prone people like me haha)
- Semi transparency of the material, making it possible to see what is stored in the bags
- Light weight, which makes them super convenient to transport and have on the go
- They do not take much space due to the material malleability and being airtight
- Very easy to clean
- They are odourless (a feature for those who are quite sensitive to smells would be happy to know I guess? haha)
- Pretty affordable price. I got these 4 bags for 7 pounds on Amazon, which I find it to be a pretty good deal. I mean, is it not great when you can help save the planet without having to go broke while doing it so?
Changes of habits can be challenging at first but they get easier over time. However, I think that once we start to open our eyes to the great impact that our lifestyle choices may have on our planet and all living things, we begin to choose differently. I have embarked on this journey towards living a more sustainable and eco lifestyle about two years ago and I feel like this is a lifetime commitment. There is a lot of learning, exploring, experimenting and trial and error involved but it does give me a sense of purpose, you know? I am not sure how to put it into words but I just find it rewarding to implement certain changes in my life when I know that they are the right thing to do for the planet and generations to come.
I hope you have found this post somewhat informative and useful. Do you have Were you aware of their existence? As always, I would love to hear from you. What are your thoughts about these eco-friendly freezer bags? Were you already aware of their existence? Do you have them already or are they in your wish list? What are other sustainable items you have bought and recommend? Let me know in the comment section below! 🙂